Monday, December 8, 2008

My Bio

First and last name:

Felipe Mosqueda

Hometown:

Longmont, CO (Originally from Mogotes Guanajuato, Mexico)

Major(s):

Marketing

Favorite class:

Chicano Studies

Background:

I am a junior at Metro State studying marketing. My decision to choose marketing as my major comes from both my passion for psychology and understanding people, and my drive to start my own business. Besides studying marketing, I’ve been fortunate to have been involved in great programs like studying international business abroad and being the vice president of a multicultural leadership club. These experiences have not only given me leadership skills, but a clearer and culturally aware perspective on the world.

I come from a very humble background. I was born in the very, very small town of Mogotes in Mexico. The town’s population consists of 635 people without counting the farm animals. I came to the U.S. when I was 7 and I was fortunate enough to find myself in a community that helps immigrant families get established here. They not only help families, but also kids, by providing them with tutors, computer classes and mentors among many other programs. Thanks to this community, I believe I have gotten to where I am today. As a way of showing my gratitude for what they have given me, I have been volunteering there for many years, helping them get local government grants, tutoring kids, and more recently teaching a citizenship course.

Job-wise, I have worked everywhere from a clinic, to a public library, and more recently in a political campaign. These experiences have given me invaluable skills on working effectively in teams on projects that help the community. In addition, they have helped me gain an understanding of managing people, and dealing with high stress situations.

Favorite quote:

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us... And as we let our light shine we give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
--Marianne Williamson

Why I am excited about being part of “The Apprentice Challenge @ Metro State”:

I’m excited about the “Apprentice Challenge” most of all because I’m certain I will get to meet great new people. Hopefully I’ll get to share what I know with others and learn from others at the same time. It will be an exciting new life experience that I’ll get to cherish for many years to come, no matter the outcome.

I’m very thrilled at the possibilities and opportunities the program offers, and can’t wait to see where this program takes me in life, or how it will change my perspective on it.

Why I should win "The Apprentice Challenge @ Metro State":

The type of positions I have had and successfully carried out at work, school and volunteering give me the confidence that I can be the next “Apprentice”. Moreover, my background in nonprofit and governmental organizations has taught me skills that are a perfect fit for the “Apprentice”.

I’m committed to doing my very best and putting my biggest effort at every step of the way. However, I am more concerned with the journey, not the destination, so best of luck to everyone!

No comments: